Skitts Residential Lettings are a market leader with over 35 years’ experience and know how on serving the property needs of local people. Offering a portfolio of properties across the West Midlands we have a wealth of experience when it comes to looking after the complex requirements of our landlords and tenants. Our lettings team have over a 100 years combined expertise within the industry giving you peace of mind that your property investment is in safe hands and your tenants are able to access friendly, professional advice, free of charge. We pride ourselves on our local knowledge, customer service and professionalism.
Presenting your property – First impressions count!
The external & internal presentation of your investment property is critical. A well-presented, well maintained and clean property could attract a higher rent and let quicker. Today’s tenants are increasingly savvy and could exclude a property if it is not well maintained and cared for. By addressing any issues at the start and presenting a clean, warm and safe environment, you will create a great first impression, attracting a tenant who in turn will look after your property investment.
- Addressing all those outstanding DIY issues.
- Giving the property a thorough clean paying particular attention to carpets, kitchens and bathrooms.
- Neutral decoration – not everyone likes colourful feature walls.
- Easy keep gardens – remove any features which may require gardening knowledge, making sure lawns are neatly trimmed and driveways are weed free.
Essentials – As a landlord it is vital that your property investment meets the current legislation and Health & Safety requirements.
You are legally obligated to comply with or provide the following:
- A valid annual Landlords Gas Safety certificate (Where a gas supply is present).
- A current Energy performance certificate.
- A working smoke alarm on each floor of the property.
- Carbon monoxide Alarms located next to each gas appliance and in each room where a flue passes through.
- If free standing electrical appliances are present, a valid annual Portable Appliance Test certificate (PAT’S)
- To ensure all furnishings including mattresses and sofas meet the Fire & Furnishing Regulations act 1988, amended 1993, making sure all items have safety labels attached.
- To maintain any mortgage and buildings insurance contracts applicable to the property and notifying the necessary companies of your intention to let.
Although not a legal requirement, you are strongly recommended to obtain the following reports.
- An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) every 5 years, conducted by a fully qualified electrician, in order to confirm the safety and compliance of your electrical system.
- A Legionella Risk Assessment – In any property where water is stored in a tank system or where major renovations of pipework may have created dead end dog legs.
Skitts Residential Lettings accept no responsibility for consequences arising out of the failure to undertake such reports as they are neither qualified or insured to offer advice on the safety of the systems or the appropriateness of obtaining such reports. You accept sole responsibility for any matters resulting from a lack of an appropriate inspection.