Skitts Residential Lettings are a market leader with over 40 years’ experience and know how on serving the property needs of local people.
Offering a portfolio of properties across the West Midlands we have a wealth of experience when it comes to looking after the complex requirements of our landlords and tenants. Our lettings team have over a 100 years combined expertise within the industry giving you peace of mind that your property investment is in safe hands and your tenants are able to access friendly, professional advice, free of charge. We pride ourselves on our local knowledge, customer service and professionalism.
Helpful advice to potential new tenants
All new tenants must:
- Be in full time permanent work, certain benefits may be considered.
- Have a gross income (before tax) of at least 2.5 times the monthly rent.
- If self-employed be able to supply copies of three years tax returns & copies of six months consecutive bank statements, details of an accountant who can confirm income for the past 3 years or 3 years self assessment documentation.
- Be able to provide a copy of their current job contract, six months consecutive bank statements and three recent wage slips, if required.
- Have no county court judgement, IVA’s, bankruptcy orders or evictions in the last 6 years.
- Be able to provide a current passport including valid work permits and/or viass or a UK driving licence, birth certificate and recent utility bill.
If you have answered NO to any of the above statements you may still be able to proceed with a tenancy (at the landlords discretion) with the help of a guarantor.
All Guarantors must:
- Be in full time permanent work.
- Have gross income (before tax) of 2.5 times the monthly rent.
- Be able to provide a copy of their current job contract, six months consecutive bank statements and three recent wage slips.
- Be a home owner.
- Have no county court judgements, IVA’s, bankruptcy orders or evictions in the last 6 years.
- Be able to provide a current passport including work permits and/or viass or a UK driving licence, birth certificate and recent utility bill.
Acting in a tenant like manner
Below is comprehensive but not exhaustive list of helpful hints to aid you through your tenancy.
- Regular maintenance of the garden- keep the garden in a neat and tidy condition.
- Report all maintenance/repair issues immediately by telephone, in writing or email and allow time for the issue to be rectified.
- If you decide to store any of the landlords possessions, make sure you have the landlords agreement and that they are stored in a clean safe place, letting us know which items are stored and where.
- Do not attempt any re-decoration or other alterations to the property, without first contacting Skitts lettings department to obtain the landlords consent.
- Maintain the house correctly, cleaning on a regular basis including carpet, floor coverings and windows (inside and out).
- Clean all cookers, fridges, microwaves, and sanitary equipment thoroughly whilst residing in the property, paying particularly attention when leaving the property.
- Have respect for the landlord’s fittings; an iron burn on a carpet could cost you your deposit.
- Carry out minor repairs such as unblocking sinks and changing light bulbs.
- Test smoke & Carbon Monoxide alarms on a regular basis changing batteries when necessary.
- Do not remove any furniture without the consent of Skitts Lettings department and the landlord.
- Pay attention to ventilation when using appliances, try to avoid excess condensation build up by opening windows and using extractor fans where available.
- Do not have pets at the property without the landlords consent. Pets should be kept in a safe environment and healthy condition.
- Pay all utility bills and rent promptly.
- Adhere to all clauses in your tenancy agreement.
Frequently asked questions
Can I put down a holding deposit before viewing the property to secure it?
No, Skitts Residential lettings do not have a first come first served policy. As the landlords agent we are obliged to identify the most suitable candidate.
Can I make an application without viewing the property?
No, it is company policy that all potential tenants are required to view the property prior to making an application as our fees are non- refundable.
Why do I have to be referenced?
The landlord needs know that their potential tenant is able to afford the property on a monthly basis and will take good care of the property.
I have been referenced by another company, do I have to be referenced and pay again?
Yes, Skitts Residential lettings offer a comprehensive tenant vetting service to all its landlords and are unable to use referencing documentation supplied by another letting agent.
Can I decorate or make changes to the property?
In most cases, you will need to seek the permission of the landlord to decorate or make changes to the property. Most landlords are happy to let tenants make the property their home, but it is important to discuss in writing your intentions and gain permission before starting any works. The landlords may require you to reinstate the property before you leave.
We belong to the Propertymark Money Protection Scheme and the client money handling procedures can be viewed here